Monday, May 11, 2015

Extreme gear test

I rode to work today and it was fantastic!  It's been a while as the Vee was unwarranted for a spell while I was organising a tyre for it.

I usually only ride when the weather is nice because I'm a sook now and own a car.  No sense getting all geared up for a short little ride to work.  Besides, this guy said it'd be sweet...Man, has my opinion of him gone down hill!

It was a nice dry ride in but while in a meeting this afternoon there was a thunderous noise above me which kinda sounded like heavy rain...hmmm...

It didn't last long but there were a few more heavy showers and there was a very light rain as I walked out to the bike.  I decided that today was a good day to break out my cheap Warehouse yellow leggings...My work shoes would have to do...

Leaving work it started to rain heavier and the road was slippery as I nailed it out the gate.  A bit of wheelspin and a bit of sideways action and I was into the traffic and heading homeward.  Then it really started to rain...

Like this, but wetter
The traffic was pretty slow which was great for those in cars but I would have preferred to keep moving - and it would have been nice to have seen third gear a bit more often...

Initially my gear was holding out well but the rain had better ideas.  The closer I got to home the harder it rained, there was more surface water and even the traffic was splashing me as it went past.  It was great fun but chinks were starting to appear in the waterproofedness of my gear.

The yellow pants were fantastic but sitting on the bike drew them up enough to expose the bottom of my trouser legs and of course my socks and shoes.  I was starting to become aware of how wet the rain was.

By the time I got home (about 15 minutes after leaving work) the rain had penetrated through my jacket (I was wearing an ancient Spidi jacket that hasn't been waterproof for some time) and jersey and my gloves were soaked through.  The dog heard me arrive so he joined in on the fun standing out in the pouring rain while I opened the gate and parked the bike in front of the shed.

Getting inside it was a toss up who was wettest and my jacket is hanging up dripping onto the old towel that I used to dry off the dog.  The rest of the gear is either hanging up to dry or in the hot water cupboard.

I still say, it was a fun ride!

8 comments:

  1. Lucky for you that you weren't on a long road trip. I haven't really had to put my current gear to the test, but look forward to that adventure (finding out if it works or not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, been there done that. I definitely would be wearing better gear on a wet trip! Get out on that adventure eh?

      Delete
  2. Damn thats a lot of rain. At least you didn't have to sit in it for hours on end, just 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the rides I just shout into the sky: "Is that all you got?" Might as well enjoy it once you're in it. I hate it when you feel the cold trickle into your jacket or down into your boots.

    Better to be on the way home for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely better to hit it on the way home. And yeah, I enjoyed my wee battle with the elements.

      Delete
  4. Wow that is torrential! I think even the best gear would ha ve trouble keeping up with that water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been keen to try some better gear if it had been on offer...

      Delete